Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Harder They Fall, One and All

It seems like all my time spent talking about the elections these days are with young Dems who don't want to 'jinx' it by showing optimism.
I thought this article in the New York Times explained that this sentiment is widespread among Obama supporters. This cute article had me at the title and won me over with the great pictures of hesitant Democrats:


If nothing else, Obama supporters should win for being adorable... and not wanting to shoot moose.

Anyway, this article especially struck a chord because I was recently subjected to the self-indulgent and infinitely depressing Micheal Moore documentary, Slacker Uprising.
This is a movie about the Bush-Kerry race- with Micheal Moore traveling across the country with celebrities and propaganda- trying to get young people/"slackers" to vote. His efforts were challeneged by the Bush campaign (they said that bribing people to vote with free underwear and ramen noodles was illegal)- but Moore prevails with his free speech.
This movie was pretty much a downer - I watched it because it was free on iTunes and a girl wanted me to watch it with her... she was a really really really cute girl. Because of this, I was able to make it through the whole movie without crying.

Kerry lost. The slackers didn't make a difference. Today is different, though.

Obama is actually more charismatic than an Ent and change is in the air. I can smell it.
*knock on wood*
This isn't up to the jinx laws, people- it's up to us and voting... and we finally have a candidate who doesn't need Micheal Moore to get people's attention...
(though if Obama wants to send Scarlett Johansson to our school again, it wouldn't hurt.)

-RS

No comments: