Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rarely do we ask: What do white people like?

So, today I sat in a bookstore read the entire book, Stuff White People Like.

It was quite funny, here is the website.

The book is written by a liberal middle to upper-middle class white guy in his, I suppose, 20's with a liberal arts education and a great understanding of behavior that is very "white." He humorously addresses a non-Caucasian audience giving tips on how to get in with the "right" kind of white people.

On the car ride back from the bookstore, I realized that I had to consciously remember that this summer was the summer of adventure and discovering India and family and figuring out what to do with my life and NOT the summer during which I sat in a book store and realized that I am a completely predictable, cookie-cutter, liberal, indie-music loving, Apple-product-brandishing ABCD (American Born Confused Desi). I like listening to NPR and reading the New York Times! And yes, I LOVE my useless Liberal Arts education!

There! Fine!

*deep breath* okay, calm now...

According to the book, I'm about 55% the "right" kind of white person... *shrug* at least I'm unpredictably not white, huh?


-Retrosweater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, sweater, you're only kind of white, I guess. I'm all white. And remember, this book is 'Liberal Yuppie White', not 'Hick White,' or 'Very Poor White'...actually, what do I know, I haven't read the book.

I don't really want to go back to school, I'm itching to go do something else. I mean, I want to go back to school, but education and intellectualism aren't doing it for me right now. I'm impatient.

Look at me. I'm the type of white person who vents feelings in comment boxes.